You Are the Author of YOUR Story
November 9, 2015 § 2 Comments
Last week I bought tickets to a program featuring Don Miguel Ruiz, the author of The Four Agreements, when he spoke in San Francisco. You may recognize his name because his book was on the New York Times best seller list for over seven years. The practical wisdom contained in The Four Agreements transforms lives, including mine. (You will find more about this book at the end of my post.)
I continue to learn from Don Miguel. My newest learning or as I like to say, “MY Aha Moment”, came when he said, and forgive me for paraphrasing his words, “Do not allow yourself to be a secondary character in your story. You are the primary author. Be a primary character too. Write with the pen that you hold in your own hand.”
It makes so much sense! When you surrender your story (your life) to the control of someone else, you lose the ability to chart the course! You don’t have any influence over the tone or tempo of the narrative. They may even write you out of your story altogether!
Are you willing to abandon your story – the treasury of your dreams, passions and goals?
I hope you are shouting a resounding “HELL NO, GIRLFRIEND!!”. You get one shot in this life so you better take it. Stop treating your life as if it were a dress rehearsal. Please, WRITE YOUR OWN STORY because we are waiting to witness your brilliance. Shine on!
Oh and if you don’t like your story, REWRITE it! Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Realistically though, we sometimes have days or moments when we feel a little “less than”, you know the days you prefer to wrap up in a blanket and protect yourself from the demands of the day? You may find these mantras helpful as you make the shift towards regaining control.
- I have the right to direct the course of my life. This is my story and I am the primary character.
- I will not allow anyone to disrespect my mind or my body.
- I am the only person responsible for my happiness. It is an inside job!
- I have the power to say yes. I have the power to say no.
- I am perfectly imperfect. I do not chase perfection.
- I am worthy of love. True love is unconditional.
- I will find compassion for what I do not understand.
- I choose positivity over negativity. I choose the light over the dark.
- I will surround myself with people worthy of my time and attention. Time is valuable.
- I am never alone when I love the person I have become.
In the comments below, please feel free to add your mantras to my list of empowering statements. Together we can hold each other up. Your life = your story. I can’t wait to read the next chapter!
From the heart,
I found this really nice review of the Four Agreements on www.toltecwisdom.com I picked up the book in 2000 because EVERYONE was talking about it. Don Miguel’s wisdom is simple, timeless and transformative –simply beautiful. (just like you!)
The Four Agreements
- Be Impeccable with your Word:Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.
- Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
- Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
- Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.